Thursday, October 22, 2015

Aboriginal Art Analysis

Enchanted Owl


By: Kenojuak Ashevak

_________________________________________________________________________________

        ''Enchanted Owl" by Kenojuak Ashevak is a picture of an owl with orange and black long feathers and big claws was made in 1960.The artist used a stone cut and stencil technique to achieve this look. The types of lines that the artist used in her artwork is thick, thin, straight, curved, and messy lines, which are on the feathers mostly. The shapes I see are circles which are used for the eyes. Some of texture that are used are dull, smooth, hard, and bold. the colours I see are orange, black and white colours. 

        The first thing I see is the eyes of the owl, because the eyes are bolder and in the centre of the artwork, normally when look at something you tend to look at the centre. The artwork is asymmetrical, because the owl is on the side which puts the head more on the right also the feathers have different lines/colors on each side. On the left the artwork is orange which makes it more brighter and the on the right the artwork is black which makes it more darker. When you look at the owl you can see that the owl looks like it's on the side and staring. The small dots on the body of the owl is repeated and the the curved/straight feathers are repeated, but have different lengths and thickness. 

         When I look at the artwork I see that the staring owl is changing to black-orange. I feel like the artist is trying to say something about being brave. I'm not sure if the artist is concerned with imitating nature, expressing feeling, lines, colour, texture, and design, because the artwork is very simple and mysterious. The title of the artwork doesn't really show the meaning of it.

          I would describe the artwork as mysterious, because the artwork had a feeling that I never felt before even though I see that the artwork is simple. I like the ''Enchanted Owl'' by Kenojuak Ashevak, I don't know why but I have this weird and strange feeling when I look at the artwork. Also  I like how the black changes to orange.











No comments:

Post a Comment